Monday, January 19, 2009

Box? What Box?

The fun part of most of this is this:

Nobody expects it.

This what? Expects what?

See? Fun times, no?

Ok, ok. I'll stop teasing.

As you may have gathered by the title, I don't believe in living by other people's ideas of what *should* be.
By other people I mean society in general. Almost everyday of my life I encounter an example of Kay's words of wisdom in Men in Black: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals ...

Proof: The outrage on the front lawn of George & Cindy Anthony over the months as Central Florida agonized over their missing granddaughter Kaylee & her mother Casey's possible complicity in her disappearance.

Proof: In 1993 the Dallas Cowboys went to and won the Super Bowl for the first time in over a decade. How do their fans thank them? Rioting in the streets.

People can disrupt a family's day to day or lift another family out of disaster and despair. We humans are an odd animal. Once again I turn to the movies to make my point. In this case,
Agent Smith from The Matrix: Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Humans destroy in the name of survival. We used to live in peace and in tune with our world and others. Now we subdue. Mangle and meddle. Reshape and remake.
And in the middle of all that, we've created a mindset that makes people like me reject out of hand almost every conventional thought process known to my particular corner of creation.

Another funny thing about humans: we rebel.
Here we stand on the eve of the single most significant Presidential Inauguration in this country's history. I have yet to write anything longer than a microblog about the man and his box-shattering achievement. Why?

Because every body else is doing it.
Until that flood slows to a trickle, how in the hell is my one voice going to be heard?

So I live outside the Box. The Box is constructed of "accepted norms": religion, sexual orientation, relationship structure, parenting, medical procedures. I don't think there's anything in my life that could fit into the *accepted norm* box. If I find anything, I'll probably burn it in my cauldron.
This is just a running stream of consciousness because I'm sick of looking at this empty blog. We'll get into details later.

~Raven

No comments: